Advice regarding Adrenal Insufficiency Management is as follows:
- There is no evidence that patients with adrenal insufficiency are at increased risk of contracting COVID-19. However, we know that some with adrenal insufficiency have a slightly increased risk of catching infections and may require additional measures when severely unwell. We therefore recommend you follow the Government’s advice and follow the social distancing rules.
- If you are symptomatic or have been exposed to the virus then you should immediately self-isolate and follow current NHS/Public Health guidelines and advice.
- At the first sign of symptoms (fever/cough/unwell) please introduce your “sick day plan”, i.e. a doubling of hydrocortisone doses, and contact the endocrine team if further advice is needed.
- If you feel this is not maintaining stability or notice a deterioration on “Sick day” doses please move to IM Hydrocortisone and call for an ambulance.
- Check expiry dates on all equipment and emergency hydrocortisone injection solution.
Society for Endocrinology Advice https://www.endocrinology.org/adrenal-crisis